Thursday, May 29, 2008

I Can See Clearly Now, The Rain Is Gone...

Bless My Heart.

My mom called me early yesterday morning and convinced me to go to an eye appointment she had made for me. (What a fabulous mom!) I had originally asked her to cancel because I didn't think I could fit it in with a last minute client meeting that had been scheduled for that same day.

Anyway, I've been blind for a good 2 years. Not really blind, just a bit blurry! I wore contacts in college but stopped one day. Not sure why.

Because of this, my sight has worsened. Though I can see relatively well, I can not drive well at night and I'm pretty sure that I have gained a few wrinkles from squinting so much. When I see people that I know in public, I often do not realize they are someone I know until I get up close. Which probably has irritated a few people and made them think, "Well, she's being kind of rude!" But really it's just that I can't see well far away. As a matter of fact, last week I mistaked the florist for a bride... a bride who had just gotten her hair and make up done for a florist who had been working in the hot sun all day.

So, even though it was a tight squeeze in the daily schedule I went to the appointment. Once the dialation wore off, I was able to put wear my new contacts. Oh. my. gosh. I can see everything! I can read street signs, I can read car license plates, I can actually see the tv with out squinting. I even watched a movie last night and didn't have to move the couch closer. Everything is clear. The trees are bright green, the flowers are lovely... the world is a much more beautiful place!

Very proud of my new contacts, I drove home yesterday very slowly. I was seriously taking in the scene. As I drove I noticed many new things and enjoyed seeing my every day drive home through my new eyes! I turned off on to the road that leads me to my town. I started seeing things I had never seen before. A church in the distance. The houses were closer to the road. Everything was different. I couldn't believe how much of a difference the contacts were making. I was really excited.

Then I got to the end of the road. But I wasn't in my town. I had been so in to the scenery I made the wrong turn. Explains the church in the distance I had never noticed. Explains why I couldn't believe the entire road looked so different.

Bless My Heart.

4 comments:

CityStreams said...

laughing. out. loud. Ohmygosh Brit! That's hilarious! I need to go to the eye doctor myself. The back of my license has that restriction, that says I'm too blind to read stop signs. But I can totally see the redness and the octagon shape. No worries! Unfortunately, I left my glasses at a restaurant three weeks ago, so I've been meaning to make that appointment.

CityStreams said...

PS- I moved to a new host. Big giveaway too! Check it out at www.citystreams.wordpress.com

Veronica said...

That is too funny! My husband is blind as well, but I don't think he could walk around the house, let alone drive without contacts. I see fine and I have done the same thing you did, most of the time I'm just off in my on world or have something on my mind when I realize I'm sitting in the parking lot at work, but really I was trying to get to Wal-mart!!

BDish said...

Yes of course I remember! Wow you have such a beautiful family! I am glad you are writing because I love to read blogs as well! We should seriously plan a trip to see Kel by the end of the year!

Blog Archive

First Year Video Montage