Monday, April 21, 2008

When Bad Things Happen To Good People

Do I have time to be blogging right now? Absolutely NOT! But, I have this on my mind so I'm going to write before life goes on.

So, while in St. Simons this weekend (which, by the way was AWESOME, FABULOUS AND SO FUN!), a couple of the girls and I were talking about how it seems like, more now than when we were younger, bad things just keep happening to good people. One of these girls lost her brother this year to the war in Iraq. She was saying how she has always had that question in her mind, "Why does God let bad things happen to good people? Is this his plan? We know he is so good but why do such terrible things happen?" When her brother was killed in Iraq, this question only grew larger in her heart.

Well, me being the person I am, automatically thinks, "Of course God has a plan. He knows everything and he knows why and that's that. End of story." I guess I just have not had anything happen to me in my life where I had to think as deeply about this as she had. Another bridesmaid explained it the best. She basically explained how I felt, but for some reason I just couldn't get it out.

Here's what I think!

God doesn't do bad things to us. He doesn't want evil and he doesn't want bad or sad, or even frustrating things to happen to ANYONE. We created sin. God is so powerful that he knows every tear that is shed and why it is shed and how it will affect our lives. Unfortunate things happen in every form and fashion. God prepares us by giving us loved ones for support, encouragement and hope. He does everything in his power to hold us up because we are too weak to do it ourselves. He does this our entire life by giving us a church family, special people and happy times. He has this all formed together in to tiny peices that make up our life and complete his PERFECT plan. (Which is ultimately for us to live for him and one day with him.) He knows what is waiting for us in heaven and that compared to eternity, this life is just a blink of an eye. So while it is sad that bad things happen, God knows that this life is not the end all be all of the world. He can not stop sin or evil in our world, but he can protect his children by loving us, comforting us and providing for us our entire life. He has to let go and trust that we will walk the right way. He hopes we will listen to him and use what he teaches us in our every day lives. If we do not, he will still be there to pick us up and keep us going in his own special way. Because that's what fathers do.

So, I don't feel like I explained it extremely well, but I am glad I have finally figured this out for myself!

4 comments:

TEXOSE said...

diddo gal.... Hey as a side note: In Sunday School this morning we were cross referencing Matthew 9 with the other testiments and one of our key verses as a relation was found in John 9:1-3. It clarified to me that sometimes we just have to suffer to get God's blessings.Lose of love ones has never or will be easy but with the Lord with us to hold us up... we can make it... I hope this might help you out some... GOD BLESS YAH AND MISS YAH!!!--Ladybug Jo

Joyous said...

Well written, Brittany. I couldn't agree more - God's plan is always PERFECT even if it isn't always good or pleasant. God's timing is also perfect - His plan happens at His perfect time. Throughout some hard times last year where I lost 4 of my family members all in the same year - this was a huge comfort for me!

Have a great week dear - God Bless!
:) Joy

CityStreams said...

You realy hit the nail on the head, Brit. I think it's hard to understand what God has in mind when terrible things happen, but there is always the comfort of knowing that "He works all things to good for those that love Him and are called according to His purpose."

Doreen Larson Michael said...

When I was young I was asked by my minister at Messiah Lutheran Church to write down my beliefs. It was one of the most wonderful things I have ever written for myself because it summed up my beliefs and became my "creed". I believe you have done the same thing and those words will always be with you. They are not just words on paper but they are etchings in your heart and soul and they make up who you are.

God Bless you! Love, Mom

Blog Archive

First Year Video Montage